The Cross of Lorraine
It was built by E.L. Ruddy Co. and erected in November 1953 at a cost of $2,670. It was placed on the edge of the escarpment so that it would be visible from most of the city and across the bay. Its purpose was to publicise the constant threat of TB, to keep people alert to its dangers and to bring hope to those already afflicted.
The Cross of Lorraine is the emblem of the Dukes of Lorraine in France. It was carried by Godfrey de Bouillon as leader of the first Crusade. It was his standard when he was chosen Ruler of Jerusalem in 1099. It was chosen by the Free French as their emblem during World War Two.
The double barrelled cross was also the emblem of the eastern branch of the Christian church. It is still the emblem of the Greek or Orthodox Catholic church. The same cross is also known as the archiepiscopal cross because it is part of the heraldic arms of the archbishop of the Roman Catholic Church.
Because of all these associations, the double barrelled cross is regarded as a symbol of hope and humanity.
At the International Conference on Tuberculosis which met in Berlin in 1902, a Parisian doctor named Dr. Gilbert Sersiron suggested that this ancient cross be made the distinctive emblem of the war against tuberculosis. It was adopted. In 1912, after considering the history and artistic merit of many designs, a committee of the National Tuberculosis of the United States chose the cross with the equal cross arms with the ends pointed rather than squared. In 1920 the Association registered trademark on this symbol in ensure its use would never be sullied.